Assalamualaikum/hello friends.. this was what a
friend of mine recently posted in his blog.. I find it to be very moving and decided to share with you
guys.. Do ponder upon the truth of what he wrote..:
Monday, August 30, 2004
In a few hours time, we'll be celebrating our 47th
year of independance.
But how is it that I am feeling empty inside?
Isn't the word 'independance' enough to make
one's spirits soar?
I guess in my case; no.
Does that mean I am an inconsiderate, unpatriotic
youth of Malaysia?
Maybe.
But tell me one thing before you label me so. What
do you need to do, or show, in order to be called
patriotic? For the heroes of yesteryears, they
showed their patriotism through the blood, sweat
and tears they sacrificed for our country's
independance. I'm sure it's hard to emulate them
nowadays. So...we need another way to show our
love for the country, right?
Well, you can certainly call yourself patriotic if you party all night long on Independance Day's eve.
And, if you mingle around freely with boys and
girls, touching here and there, I'm sure you too can
proudly say that you love your country.
Why not go ahead and take a swig from that bottle
of beer? You are, after all, Malaysian, aren't you?
This is the way that we have opted for to show our
patriotism. Well, so be it. If that's the path that has been chosen, I'd rather be called an imbecilic,
unsporting, ignorant fool any day.
What angers me even more is that this kind of idiocy is broadcasted over every single major mass media, be it the television, newspaper or radio. The message couldn't be any clearer: we want you to come and rot yourself silly!
Is that supposed to bring out the nation-loving
spirit in us? Any twit can tell you that the answer is no. Yet, why do we keep doing it year in, year out? It is just plain insanity! No prizes for guessing who turns out in full force for the celebration. I am downright ashamed of myself.
But the images which we will see splashed across
the papers will tell a different story.
There will be no pictures of our 'patriotic' youth
partying themselves silly.
There will be no pictures of our 'patriotic' youth
hugging another boy or girl without shame
There will be no pictures of our 'patriotic' youth
chugging down bottles of beer.
There will only be pictures of our 'patriotic' youth
showing their love for the country. And pictures of
fireworks too. Where's the patriotism in that?
Sod it.
*take fr0m s0L..